Sunday, April 20, 2014

Currently "Holy Season"

Welcome to my life currently: The Religious Edition
Well we are deep in the convergence of Holy Season Maddness. As most of you know, I am a Christian who works for a Jewish organization. This year Passover converges on the same week as our Christian Holy Week. Fasten your seat belts.
Current Preparations: I joined my church choir about two months ago, right before Lent. I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into, and that was a good thing. We are performing Symanowski's Stabat Mater on Good Friday.
I love music, but I have never pretended to know anything about music, and I have found that this is serving me well. I learn the music my own way, and for some reason I think this has made me less stressed about the whole thing.
But the whole piece, the practice and rehearsal of it, is s avery good analogy to the lenten season.
Stabat Mater is is a difficult piece of music, we're all agreed on that. At times rehearsals have been stressful and frustrating when the technicality of the music overwhelms us. And it doesn't always sound very good.
But that is a lot like Lent. It can be uncomfortable and frustrating, and not very pretty. What pays off though, is on that Good Friday when everything comes together. The technical and the artistic meet, and the result is that a beautiful -absolutely enchanting piece of music is performed. Good Friday is this beautiful and terrible convergence of postures. Where pain and sorrow is mixed with hope
First Shabbos: Ever since I went full time at Park Plaza, I have become more and more fascinated with the practice of Shabbos, or the Sabbath. Christians and Jews both revere the idea of the Sabbath, but go about observing it in completely different ways.
Observant Orthodox Jews, go unplugged every Friday evening for 24 hours. They turn off all the things that make noise, and go off the radar. Simple things we take for granted like opening a car door or writing are verboten during that time.
Christians entertain the idea of a sabbath day, but don't really revere it or put practice in. We think of Sunday as our day for God; we go to church, eat lunch, maybe run some errands, maybe do some cooking for the week ahead. Our idea of the sabbath is very fluid.
Current Work Schedule: Cray-cray. All hands are on deck. I have to work several Saturdays this month, which means my weekly schedule will be a little inconsistent. Now that Passover has started, I am the show runner. While my boss is celebrating the holiday, I'm taking over the drivers seat
Current Easter Plans: Easter is my favorite holiday in the Christian calendar. It's the height of joy, and is considered the most significant of all the Christian holidays.
However,  other than choir, I haven't done a single thing to get ready. I need to go shopping,  clean my house,  plan my outfits. Forget about dying eggs this year, I don't have the time or discipline to track down a carton of white eggs this close to Easter.
As per usual I'll be with some good friends for Easter dinner. But after all this is over I'm gonna need a nap. 
It is strange,  that this past year I have worked through every major holiday season

1 comment:

tropospherial said...

I love what you said about Lent and good Friday. Beautifully written.
I have been recently convicted about loose interpretation of the Sabbath myself.